Illinois Specific Radon Information: Get a Low-Cost Radon Test Kit
The American Lung Association of the Upper Midwest provides short term and long term radon test kits to homeowners with a small donation.
There are 2 types of test kits available:
- Short Term Test Kit
- Use for first time testing and follow-up verification testing
- Lasts 2-7 days
- $10 donation for each test kit
- Long Term Test Kit
- Use for follow-up verification testing to get an average of the radon level over a longer period.
- Lasts 3-12 months
- $20 donation for each test kit
It is recommended that each individual foundation type within your home be tested. For example, if your home has a basement and a crawl space, place one test kit in the basement and one in a room above the crawl space. Consider ordering a test kit for each foundation type in your home.
The American Lung Association of the Upper Midwest urges all homeowners to test their homes for radon. Radon is a naturally occurring colorless, odorless radioactive gas that comes from naturally occurring uranium in the soil. The greatest exposure to radon is in the home. Radon enters the home through cracks and other pathways found in the home's foundation. Any home can have radon, regardless if the home is new or old.
Radon is a known human carcinogen that can contribute to lung cancer. The USEPA estimates that 13% of all cancer deaths are radon related. The remaining 87% of lung cancer deaths are linked to tobacco smoking. Individuals who smoke are at an even higher risk of lung cancer from radon because of radon's ability to attach itself to the smoke particles.