2015 Illinois High School Radon Video Contest
The American Lung Association in Illinois (ALAIL) and Illinois Emergency Management Agency Radon Program (IEMA) along with Ecology Action Center, Respiratory Health Association of Metropolitan Chicago, and the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Region 5 want to spread the word about the dangers of radon gas. Radon is a colorless, odorless, tasteless, radioactive gas that causes lung cancer. The Surgeon General lists radon as the second leading cause of lung cancer in the United States, and it is also the leading cause of lung cancer among non-smokers. Fifty percent of Illinois counties are considered at high risk and we are seeking new and creative methods of informing the public.
To increase radon awareness, we are hosting the sixth annual statewide radon video contest. We are calling on Illinois high school students and classes to create a 1 minute Public Service Announcement (PSA) or commercial that will increase public awareness of radon gas and encourage people to test their homes.
2015 Illinois Radon Video Contest Winners
- The top ten videos will earn the following monetary prizes
- 1st place = $1000 plus $300 for the school
- 2nd place = $750 plus $200 for the school
- 3rd place = $500 plus $100 for the School
- Honorable Mention (7): $250 per video
- Winning videos will be featured on ALAIL and IEMA websites
Contest Details/ Forms:
Click here to download the promotional flyer.
Click here to download the official contest information sheet.
Click here to download the entry form (MUST be submitted to ALAIL for video entry to be considered)
Click here to download the release form (MUST be completed by each person involved with the video)
HURRY!!! All videos, entry forms, and release forms must all be submitted by March 4, 2015 at 5pm to be entered into the contest!
Here are a few helpful tips to improve your video:
- Radon is not a poisonous gas
- Double check your spelling and accuracy of facts. Illinois or National??
- Make sure to use the correct logos
- Don’t read from a script
- and HAVE FUN IN YOUR VIDEO!!
For assistance with any additional questions or inquiries about the contest, please contact John.DeRosa@lung.org at the American Lung Association in Illinois at (217) 787-5864.